Monday, April 23, 2012

Rainbow Peppercorns

This stuff right here, Rainbow Peppercorns, manages to be both a material representation of why I love Trader Joe's so much and my kids' absolute worst culinary nightmare.
Let's begin with the former: What a fantastic product this is. For starters, it's unusual. In a good way. It's the kind of unassuming yet exciting little food item that makes so much sense and gets so much use in my home that I wonder where it's been all my life and what I did without it. "Why has no one combined four varieties of peppercorn until now?" is the kind of question begged by Rainbow Peppercorns. (Or maybe this combination of peppercorns has been done before...? Even so, it's certainly not ubiquitous to grocery-store spice aisles, right? Correct me if I'm wrong!)
Yes, the pepper bottle in this photo is nearly empty.
Rainbow peppercorns go quickly here at Chez Mo!
The taste is really fresh, thanks to the built-in grinder, and spicy and a bit hot, and bold. It's like freshly ground black pepper dialed up several notches and with a little extra zing ground in. I LOVE IT. There's really nothing it can't enhance: eggs, a green salad, soups, chicken, pasta, rice, cooked vegetables, tuna salad, a turkey sandwich...I use it almost daily.
My kids, on the other hand, are revolted by the very idea of freshly ground pepper. Why would Mom taint a perfectly good, perfectly bland, perfectly uniform gob of mashed potatoes with this crap? they wonder. They look on, aghast, as I aggressively grind and grind and grind the pepper onto everything on my plate. And if I'm off my game one night and accidentally season the family's veggies---let's say broccoli---BEFORE dishing out their portions, Maya and Hunter both freak out and point to the offending pepper specks that are poisoning their food: "It's got the black stuff! The black stuff! GET THE BLACK STUFF OFF MY BROCCOLI TREES!!!"
...which, maybe, now that I'm really pondering it, is another reason Rainbow Peppercorns delight me so much: They annoy my children! I am all for annoying my children in small doses.
Keep on doin' your thing, Rainbow Peppercorns!

2 comments:

  1. I have added this to my grocery list! This sounds AMAZING. Not only does it sound delicious, but maybe we can also sprinkle it on stuff we don't want our kids to touch, like electrical outlets and the TV screen?

    Love Maya and Hunter's reaction! Our mini-critic has had similar ruined meals thanks to TJ's 21 Seasoning Salute, which I love and apparently use too recklessly for someone's taste...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo! 21 Seasoning Salute! With a name like that, I love it already. Want to blog about it on here, Ann? That would be fun! I'm going to pester you about it until you relent and say yes!

    ReplyDelete