Monday, April 2, 2012

Cocoa Powder Unsweetened

Thanks to Joe, I can make a warm, comforting, decadent-tasting mug of hot cocoa and feel very little guilt about it. Trader Joe's Cocoa Powder Unsweetened is the only cocoa powder I've come across that isn't "processed with alkali" and that contains literally nothing but cocoa powder. At 20 calories per tablespoon and one gram of fat, this fine, silky cocoa powder feels almost healthful to me, in that it's likely delivering the benefits of chocolate without all the saturated fat and sugar.
For homemade hot cocoa, I just pour milk (usually 2%) into a mug, heat it in the microwave for 2 minutes or so, then add a couple of heaping teaspoons of the cocoa powder. I stir a LOT and for a LONG time to fully blend the powder into the milk and break up most of the little lumps. Then I add sugar to taste, usually not much more than a teaspoon or so, because I like bitterness.
And that's it! I make it for my kids, too, of course, and they enjoy it. (Don't get me wrong---they'll suck down that Swiss Miss crap just as fast, but they certainly don't turn up their noses at the homemade stuff.)
I should mention that I haven't used this cocoa powder for baking, much, mostly because I don't bake chocolate cakes and the like all that often. My friend and mother-in-law, Lala, did use it for brownies the last time she visited us, and oh my, those brownies did not disappoint! They were perfectly rich and chocolatey. Mmmm.

9 comments:

  1. Ooo! This makes me want hot cocoa STAT! Have only used this cocoa powder for baking so far, but it made for kid- and grandma-approved cupcakes. Yay for Trader Joe's and this multitasking goodie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made it just the way you said for my 5 year old. Came out perfect! Had to had some myself.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad it worked for you, Michele!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is completely misleading. Trader Joe's Cocoa is absolutely awful. It has no flavor. I can't even taste it, aside from some bitterness. It even looks pale and anemic. Good cocoa is always bitter, but it also has lots of flavor with the bitterness. I also like mine slightly bitter, but it needs flavor too!. This does not have it. My hot cocoa made with this does not taste like anything but bland, slightly milk. Horrible. And it's not the least bit "silky smooth," It's chalky, clumpy, and lumpy. Worst cocoa I've ever used. I'll never buy it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to say "does not taste like anything but bland, slightly BITTER milk."

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. These blog posts reflect my opinions and experiences only, so it's true your mileage may vary. Did you use enough of the cocoa powder, and did you add enough sugar to cut some of the bitterness? I also recommend whisking the powder into the hot milk, for a good minute or two, to fully incorporate the cocoa into the milk. I also use a milk with relatively high fat content, such as 2% or whole.
      Thanks for stopping by, and happy new year!

      Delete
    3. This is the best unsweetened baking cocoa I have ever used. It has amazing depth and complexity-never bitter, just well- rounded flavor. I absolutely love this product.

      Delete
  5. Adding to the above: 3/4 cup whole milk, 1/4 half and half, 2 heaping teaspoon power, 3 level teaspoon superfine sugar.

    Now heat milk in mug in microwave for about 1 min. This warms the milk. Now transfer to larger plastic container add powerds then use somthing like a cuisinart smart stick to blend. The mixer quickly get rid of lumps and froths the warm milk to creamy consistency.

    Now transfer back to mug and heat until desired temp. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much for sharing such a useful article. Will definitely saved and revisit your site best
    Cocoa Powder Factory

    ReplyDelete