Saturday, March 31, 2012

Chocolate European Style Lowfat Yogurt


Trader Joe's Chocolate European Style Lowfat YogurtLet's jump right in and waste no time: Trader Joe's does a kick-ass job with their yogurts. Would you agree? Michael Ian Black once joked on his "Mike and Tom Eat Snacks" podcast that approximately 80% of grocery-store real estate these days is dedicated to yogurt, and thankfully, that figure holds *true* (give or take) for every Trader Joe's I've shopped. And really, hooray for that, because first of all, yogurt is tasty and interesting and healthy, and there are so many varieties and flavors to sample and experiment with; and secondly, Trader Joe's yogurts in particular are generally high quality and priced well. Bring on the 'gurt, I say!
...and for the first of many TJ's 'gurts to be featured on this blog AND the first Mo Loves Joe product post, period, I present to you Chocolate European Style Lowfat Yogurt. (Resisting strong urge to insert much-needed hyphen between "European" and "Style," btw. It's not a Chocolate European we're referring to here---thankfully---it's a chocolate-flavored European-style yogurt. But, okay.)
This yogurt is simple yet decadent, and that's why it's fabulous. It is tangy and tart, as yogurt should be, plus chocolately, bitter, and mildly sweet. Other chocolate yogurts from other places and other manufacturers are hardly yogurts at all---they are nauseatingly sweet confections and read more like pudding in flavor and texture. This yogurt is thick and creamy and feels "real." Simply put: I can eat THIS chocolate yogurt as a late-morning snack and feel good about myself afterward.

6 comments:

  1. OK, I normally hate flavored yogurts, but this one sounds really good. I love the TJ's plain European-style yogurt and keep a big tub of it in my fridge at all times. I'll try this, but I wonder if I could make my own by stirring a little cocoa powder into the plain stuff? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like maybe trying to stir in one's own cocoa powder might not work so well. I've tried to dissolve cocoa powder in cold milk, and it just doesn't work. It only seems to dissolve in hot milk, and even then, it's stubborn. But! Maybe using your immersion-blender trick would produce some success. I'm guessing you might also need to add a pinch of sugar, too, just to balance out the tartness of the yogurt and the bitterness of the cocoa. (But honestly, J, what do I know about it?! You're way more knowledgeable about this sort of thing than I am!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This stuff is my new crack. I'm pregnant and it's a great snack/breakfast full of protein and not too much sugar. Thanks again, TJ's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the only yogurt I can eat, period. All others I have tried are too sweet, too "ick" for some other reason, or have too much crap in them. So, thank you TJ's for making a yogurt that both my mouth and my stomach love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This stuff is awesome, dynamite, delicious. Can't say enough good things about it. Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can make your own at home with adding cocoa powder to plain yogurt and some honey to sweeten it. I buy the big containers of greek yogurt and add a few tablespoons of cocoa and a few tablespoons of honey and then put them into my own little bowls to take to work. But when I don't feel like making my own, this one is so good.

    ReplyDelete